Holy cow. Has anyone seen the recent news stories about the owner of Dormont Dogs? I was walking into the house last night as the story came on the news. My wife was all like “listen to this!” pointing to the TV before we even said hello to each other. I watched the story in a sort of disbelief. Neither of us could believe what we were seeing/hearing.
Dormont Dogs has been a favorite place of ours ever since the first time we walked in the door years ago! Not too long ago, I finally wrote a review for this blog, although I have had older reviews on Urban Spoon for quite some time… and I’d tell anyone who would listen how they need to get over there ASAP to have some fun delicious hot dogs.
Without fail we have been treated well by all of their employees, including the Captain. Drinks are always refilled, food always brought right to us, we’re always asked how the food is, and always asked how we’re doing in general. These are kind people who have put their all into a business, and it shows that they genuinely want to not only serve a great product but they wanted you to enjoy it. They easily made you feel at home if dining in or out on the sidewalk.
Not too long ago, my mother-in-law & father-in-law were there for lunch one day, and when they asked for change to put in the meter, Captain ran out to the meter to pay for them.
By all accounts, Captain is a great guy… and this is just some momentary snap or lapse in judgement. Any articles that I’ve read including comments from customers and other Dormont/Brookline business owners have had nothing but good things to say about the man.
I’m not condoning his actions, or judging what happened. My heart goes out to the tellers at the banks, were I in their place I’d hope that I had an extra pair of boxer shorts nearby. I do have to praise the people in the South Side for their bravery… I certainly wouldn’t have jumped in to wrestle a bank-robber, fearing any kind of weapons or just a plain old whoopin’. I would think the safe thing to do is to let the police do their job. Then again, perhaps they would have used excessive force or a chase could have ensued where bystanders could have been put in danger. Perhaps it’s best that it played out the way it did.
I would urge you to continue to support Dormont Dogs when they reopen (hopefully tomorrow – Fri. Feb. 17th). Word on the street is that Rachel is taking over & reopening ASAP. I can’t imagine what she, their sons, & their employees are going through right now. They do not deserve any backlash, retaliation, or bad press. They are still wonderful people, and a great asset to Dormont.
In fact, right now… they could really use your support, all of our support. Show them that you’re glad they’re still up & running by going in this weekend and grabbing a meal. Buy a hot dog or two. Take a bunch of friends. Stop in if you’re a regular, or even if you’ve never been there. Please join us in supporting this business, and more importantly this family.
Check out the Dormont Dogs for Everyone group on Facebook, the official Dormont Dogs Facebook page, and Dormont Dogs on UrbanSpoon. Please, feel free to share your experiences at Dormont Dogs in the comments below, or even just post your favorite dog(s)!
- Dormont Dogs Does Delicious Decidedly Deftly (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Dormont Couple Shares Fun, Challenges of Working Together (dormont-brookline.patch.com)
- Sam & Debbie with Captain Barnes and Rachel Dudley at Dormont Dogs (yappinyinzers.com)
- Hot Dog Shop Owner Charged In Bank Robbery (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Dormont Dogs Owner Arrested for Bank Robberies (dormont-brookline.patch.com)
- Dormont hot dog vendor accused in heists (www.pittsburghlive.com)
- Police Investigate South Side Bank Robbery (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Bank robbery cash found at Dormont Dogs (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Dormont Dogs owner charged in robberies (www.bizjournals.com)
- Dormont Dogs owner charged in bank robberies (www.post-gazette.com)
- Hot dog shop owner charged in 2 bank heists (www.post-gazette.com)
- Business owner accused of robbing two Pittsburgh-area banks (www.wpxi.com)
- Hot Dog Shop Owner Robbed Banks Because Of Business Debts (www.wtae.com)
- Impugnment & Embarrassment (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- A Cristmas Story in Dormont (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Movies I’d like to see at the Hollywood Theater in Dormont (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)