Over my lifetime, I’ve amassed a list of words and subjects that I’d rather not discuss while eating. This includes dining out, eating dinner at home with my wife, with a large group, or even just snacking.
This especially applies to family gatherings. For some reason, dinner conversation always comes around to operations, infections, and/or feces when I’m with my family, and oddly… this extends to my wife’s family too.
There are just some things I don’t want to think about or even hear mentioned while I’m shoveling food into my face. I’m I alone in this? Please tell me I’m not alone. I can’t watch Dirty Jobs while I’m eating either.
Here’s a short list of words and subjects that I don’t want to hear while I’m eating…
- Infection / Infected
- Anything ending in “ectomy“
- Poop, diarrhea, feces, shit, crap, etc.
- Diaper (…especially when it leads to a discussion of use and/or contents.)
- Vomit, “Throw up”, puke, regurgitate, etc.
- “Soupy” describing anything other than soup.
- Anything describing a recent doctor’s visit.
- Anything describing a recent dentist visit.
- The word “Hospital”, because it never leads to anything good.
I’m sure there are more, but these are the most offensive. What would you add to the list?