I read about this a while ago, and kind of put it in the back of my mind, and now it’s snuck up on me again. Being a food allergy advocate (or annoyance depending on your point of view) of sorts, I really ought to go to this.
I was excited to see this article today via the Food Allergy Daily: FAAN Walk for Food Allergy: Moving Toward A Cure Coming Back to Pittsburgh
This especially caught my attention:
The Walk is a non-competitive 2-mile course and participation is free. Families can enjoy samples from allergen-free food vendors, music and children’s activities. Joining us this year will be Sally Wiggin (WTAE-TV), and singer and songwriter Kyle Dine (http://kyledine.com), to educate and entertain with his songs about food allergies.
Kyle Dine rules! Kyle is also a soldier in the #FoodAllergyDudeArmy (a covert special ops branch of the #FoodAllergyMomArmy) on Twitter. Of course, Sally Wiggin is also a local legend. The walk is taking place at Hartwood Acres.
At any rate… I know there are many many walks for many many reasons, but I see this as an opportunity to do something other than whine about food allergies on the internet and send restaurants annoying (and hopefully entertaining) emails about deathfish.
The article above also drops these fascinating facts:
Food allergy is the leading cause of anaphylaxis outside the hospital setting and the CDC reports that food allergies result in over 300,000 ambulatory care visits each year among children. Eight foods account for 90 percent of all allergic reactions in the U.S.: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, pecans, etc.), wheat, soy, fish, and shellfish. Food allergy afflicts one in 25 Americans overall, and one in 17 under age 3.
I’ll sign up to walk as an individual, or I can put together a team if anyone’s interested. The individual suggested goal is $300. The suggested team goal is $1,500.00.
So, here’s where I ask for help. Does anyone want to donate, or walk with me?
Think “Team Deathfish” sounds like a good name?
- Message from FAI and Research America – Food allergy action required! (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Kids and Allergies… (parentingintheloop.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Kill the Birthday Girl And other tips from a food-allergic adult on how to host a safe party for kids (theinsider.retailmenot.com)
- FAAN’s Walk for Food Allergy….Have You Registered??? (thefoodallergymom.wordpress.com)
- Can you develop food allergies later in life? (zocdoc.com)
- 7 MILLION People Allergic to Shellfish? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Nut Allergies; Public Often Wary And Prejudice Study Finds (medicalnewstoday.com)
- New Food Allergy Study: Becoming Worse (momstowork.com)
- Back To School Series Part 3: School and Food Allergy Basics (thefoodallergymom.wordpress.com)