Guns N’ Roses was & has been one of my (many according to the wife) all-time favorite bands for quite some time. I was the target audience when this stuff was being played on top 40 radio. They stood out among all the hair metal that was going on because they were a little more raw.
The production on Appetite for Destruction wasn’t glossy by any means. The guitars hit you right away. I still say Slash & Izzy have this amazing guitar interplay that no one else can match. Duff has a style playing bass where you know it’s him, and his sound complimented everything else that was going on perfectly. They had punk sensibility, rock riffs, they seemed like a meaner Aerosmith. Apparently they weren’t able to keep egos in check or an endless array of drugs out. Perhaps it’s better that the original lineup blew up as the Illusions albums were being recorded. Then we wouldn’t have crap like Metallica’s Load to blame on them. The blame for Chinese Democracy can rest solely on Axl.
I’m sparked to write about Guns N’ Roses because I see that they’re finally eligible and nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While I realize that the rock and roll hall of fame arguably has been, is, and will continue to be a sham for a small group of critics to fawn all over themselves… The fact exists that it’s there, and it happens. I enjoy the all-star jams. I dug the Blondie appearance a few years back, and the tribute to Black Sabbath. The non-appearance of Van Halen was a ridiculous disappointment.
I would love to see Slash, Duff, Izzy, Axl, & Steven Adler take the stage together before one of them dies. Axl has made it pretty clear that he’ll never work with Slash again, and seems to be under some illusion that it was only his voice, personality, & songwriting that made the band what it was. (Wasn’t the quote something like “Slash is a cancer”…?) While Axl’s volatile nature clearly helped vault them to super-stardom, it would have been nothing without blistering guitar solos spewing forth from a chain-smoking, top hat-wearing, Les Paul-playing Cousin Itt… woven together by Izzy & Duff, with the attempt of holding things down by Steven.
I’m hoping the planets align, Axl takes some happy medicine, and they all take the stage to rock out… even if it’s just a one-off and Axl goes back to the roving band of hooligans that is today’s (sad sad) GN’R. I really wish Axl would just continue to write, record & tour as AXL… instead of pissing on the name & reputation of the band. I wish Velvet Revolver would come in & play some songs with Miles Kennedy at the helm, and then go on to find a rock producer & record a new album.
Will Slash & Axl share the stage for an all-star jam? Will they all be no-shows? Will any incarnation of the band show up? Will someone show up & play terrible covers?
Only time will tell.
- Rock And Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced (mirror.co.uk)
- GUNS N’ ROSES, HEART, JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS Among Nominees For Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame; RUSH, KISS Snubbed Again! (bravewords.com)
- POISON’s Bret Michaels On His Former Feud With GUNS N’ ROSES’ Axl Rose – “That Was More Of A Feud In The Media Than It Was In Real Life” (bravewords.com)
- Guns N’ Roses, the Cure, Red Hot Chili Peppers Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (rollingstone.com)
- My favourite album: Appetite for Destruction by Guns N’ Roses (guardian.co.uk)
- Guns N’ Roses Launching American Tour in October (rollingstone.com)
- Jett, GNR, Heart, The Cure Nominated for Rock Hall (abcnews.go.com)
- Guns N’ Roses Announces US Tour! (lukewilliamss.wordpress.com)
- Guns N’ Roses To Tour (stereogum.com)
- Guns N’ Roses Announce More Cities for U.S. Tour (rollingstone.com)
- Duff McKagan is the Real-Life Duff Man (inquisitr.com)
- Read the First Eighty Pages of Duff Mckagan’s It’s So Easy for Free (metalsucks.net)
- Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame 2012 Nominees [PHOTOS] (wzlx.radio.com)
- Time to Continue Being Not Excited by the Idea of a Gn’r Reunion (metalsucks.net)
- Beastie Boys, Joan Jett, Guns N’ Roses Gunning for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (eonline.com)
- ArtsBeat Blog: Guns ‘N Roses and Eric B. & Rakim Crack Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominee List (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)