“Top however many of whatever” lists are designed to generate ire & promote discussion. This one undoubtedly has in many circles. Spreading around the internet like herpes, here’s the latest from some radio station somewhere:
What are The Top 10 Greatest Guitar Intros in rock? Well, someone compiled a list and put it on the Internet.
All the songs were released between 1967 and 1990.
Here’s the list:
10.) “School’s Out”, Alice Cooper (1972)
9.) “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, Van Halen (1978)
8.) “Thunderstruck”, AC⚡DC (1990)
6.) “Heartbreaker”, Led Zeppelin (1969)
5.) “Working Man”, Rush (1974)
4.) “Layla”, Derek and the Dominos (1970)
3.) “Suffragette City”, David Bowie (1976)
2.) “Purple Haze”, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)
1.) “Eruption / You Really Got Me”, Van Halen (1978)
Source: Wise Brother Media/ Radio 96.1
What? ☘ Shenanigans ☘ I say! I bet you say it too. I mean, there are some stellar songs on that list, but also glaring omissions. Some other yahoos are taking a poll. Gibson made a list a while ago that grabs some more timeless tracks & grabs “Sweet Child O’ Mine” which would be close to or at the top of my list & really, who could forget “Crazy Train”? And neither list makes note of the banes of guitar stores’ existence “Enter Sandman” or “Smells Like Teen Spirit“. And where the hell is Black Sabbath? “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” has to be one of the coolest intros ever, among so many more. What about “Welcome to the Jungle”?
If you’re gonna include “Sweet Home Alabama”, why not “Stairway to Heaven”, or even that one Pearl Jam song that’s all jangly and has that sweet tone where Vedder mumbles incoherently. Hendrix’s version or “Hey Joe” or “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”?
“Eruption”? Clearly awesome, but it’s its own song, isn’t it, not an intro? I mean, what are the rules here? Why not just throw in some bass like “Bassically“/”N.I.B.” or “Anesthesia [Pulling Teeth]”/”Whiplash”? A bass is arguably a guitar, right?
Nothing by Heart? “Sunshine of Your Love” anyone? “Start Me Up”? “Hair of the Dog?” No ZZ Top? Nothing by Aerosmith? No “Talk Dirty to Me?” Ha ha. Just making sure you’re paying attention. What about some more metal stuff? No Pantera? No Slayer? No Metalli-freakin’-ca? No punk rock? Well, I guess not a bunch of punk has blazing riff like intros.
What is rock? Can rap or funk be included? What about some crazy stuff by guys like Carl Perkins or Willie Nelson?
It’s clear my friends that we need to make our own list. I dig Velvet Revolver’s “Set Me Free”, but I may be in the minority there. Remember, this is guitar intros, not riffs. I’m guessing we should aim for guitar-only intros, or we would all have to concede to “Rock You Like a Hurricane” for being the most powerful. There’s also that one Avenged Sevenfold song… it’s got a killer riff at the beginning, but I think there’s some drums right at the beginning. If these are OK, is there room for “No Sleep till Brooklyn” or “Fight For Your Right”?
Start naming songs. We’ll figure out some ground rules, set a number, set up some brackets & some votes. We’ll even name it something classy like “The Actual Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time (Not Chosen by Idoits)”. Then, we’ll spark more idiots to have more useless arguments discussions.
- Top 10 Greatest Guitar Intros! Do You Agree? (wzlx.radio.com)
- Jimi Hendrix Named Greatest Guitarist Of All Time By Rolling Stone (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hopes for Van Halen reunion dashed — for now (canada.com)
- ‘Unchained’ Tops Rolling Stone Readers Poll Of 10 Best VAN HALEN Songs (bravewords.com)
- MONSTER PLAYLIST: Halloween Party Anthems That Aren’t Painfully Cheesy (jack.radio.com)
- Guitar World: The Top 10 Reasons to Quit Playing Guitar (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Jimi Hendrix named ‘greatest guitar player in history’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO – Part 2 Of New Guitar World Interview Online (bravewords.com)
- The Best Metal Albums of 2011, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves – Part Vii (metalsucks.net)
- You always remember your first (canada.com)
- Vince Neilstein Interviews Nikki Sixx in Metalsucks Exclusive! (metalsucks.net)
- 100 Great Guitar Moments – #100 to 91 (steveshark.wordpress.com)