People consistently drive incorrectly, illegally, and dangerously at more than a few intersections that I travel through on a somewhat regular basis. I’d like to deal with them all eventually, but let’s just start with one at a time. I’ve talked about this kind of stuff before, and I’m not saying that I’m the perfect driver or never do anything wrong with my vehicles… but this kind of stuff is covered in the PA driver’s manual, isn’t it?
The first intersection that I’d like to deal with has a clearly marked right-of-way, but it’s apparently not clear to all drivers licensed by the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. First a description of the intersection in question thanks to Google Maps & my mad paint.NET skills:
Does this really need any explanation? Of course it does, or I wouldn’t be here ranting about it. The green arrows are the path I usually take. I chose green for my arrows, because I’m obviously always right.
Red arrow path people… I’m talkin’ to you. I’ve seen you all try to pull out in front of me, no matter which green-arrowed path I’m taking. You sit there, eking forward as if to tell me you’re interested in playing intersection chicken, or simply that you don’t quite comprehend that I don’t also have a stop sign. To channel Dr. Seuss;
I don’t have a stop sign going up the hill,
I don’t have a stop sign going down the hill.
I can spot stop signs with such skill,
It must make you very ill.
I don’t have a stop sign going around the bend,
I don’t have a stop sign like you, my friend.
In case it’s unclear, the stop on the sign indicates that you are to sit there until all others in the intersection (with the right-of way) have gone though. Which unfortunately for you, in this instance, is everyone except you.
Maybe they need an “opposing traffic does not stop” sign or something to the same effect there (if there isn’t one already). Maybe we need someone to stand there, and hand out printed copies of instructions on how to navigate the intersection successfully …or even just a copy of this blog post.
Please, stop crowding forward when the tiny section of road gets backed up at that light in the morning. Please, stop making faces at me and throwing your hands wildly into the air like I have wronged you in some way as I come up the hill around the bend to the left. Please don’t cut me off as I’m waiting in the backed-up traffic to get to the light. I don’t have a stop sign. You do. I didn’t cut you off. I’m driving correctly, you’re an anus.
(We don’t use that word nearly enough.)
- I’m pretty sure this is illegal. (Driving advice for horn-honking traffic trolls.) (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Yinz Ain’t Drivin’ Right (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- How to walk to your car in a parking lot: A public service announcement (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- How to Cross the Street 101 (myspace.com/aixelsyd13)
- The venerated Yinzer parking chair. (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- This is why you can’t have nice things… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The diverging diamond interchange: A new kind of intersection eliminates dangerous, time-wasting left turns completely. (slate.com)
- 10 useful tips for car drivers (davesbikeblog.squarespace.com)
- Letter: Wearing seat belts can be a life-or-death decision (tcpalm.com)
- Ky. Amish Teen Killed When SUV Strikes Buggy (abcnews.go.com)
- Crosswalk signs, pavement markings — but no stop sign — recommended at East Palo Alto intersection where girl was killed (mercurynews.com)
- Pedestrians rule the road (timesunion.com)
- Some people are anal about blogging… (arjanshahani.wordpress.com)