Calvin and Hobbes has been popping up over & over on my radar lately. It was such an incredible strip, and Bill Watterson was awesome for taking such control of his creation. No Saturday morning cartoons ruining your interpretation of Hobbes, no live action travesties like the Garfield movies. No licensing, no over-saturation, no Calvin air fresheners. Just pure, simple, beautifully drawn comic panels with wisdom & wit out the wazoo.
Not that there haven’t been countless Calvin and Hobbes bootleg T-shirts, and the notorious “Calvin peeing” stickers that could express your distaste for anything from a car make to a political figure. Bill Watterson encouraged me to look at both sides of every issue, taught me many things about friendships, and taught me all about artistic integrity.
Imagination is a powerful tool, and morbid snowmen are the funniest things ever. I still need to get The Complete Calvin and Hobbes one of these days.
Here are some fun things I’ve found lately:
Shameless plugs notwithstanding, there’s also the AiXeLsyD song:
And, the “better” quality audio:
Please, share your favorite Calvin and Hobbes images, sites, memories, books, quotes, panels, strips, etc. in the comments below!
I’ll start a board on Pinterest.
- Geek-Out: A Very Calvin & Hobbes Christmas (geekasms.com)
- Sweet Calvin & Hobbes Tribute Recreates Calvin’s Deranged Snowman Torture (gizmodo.com.au)
- A Very Morbid Christmas from Calvin and Hobbes (raincoaster.com)
- Christmas with Calvin & Hobbes (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Sweet Calvin & Hobbes tribute recreates Calvin’s deranged snowman torture [Video] (gizmodo.com)
- Your Daily Moment of Snowman Carnage Zen (tor.com)
- Sweet Calvin & Hobbes tribute recreates Calvin’s deranged snowman torture [Video] (io9.com)
- PCI Scope Errors (flyingpenguin.com)
- A Calvin & Hobbes Christmas (ashtoberfest.com)
- 3D Model Recreation of the Gory Snowmen Death Scenes from Calvin & Hobbes (neatorama.com)
- in case we have a white christmas (eatsleepreadlove.wordpress.com)