So, it’s no secret that I’m a Guns N’ Roses fan. Well, a fan of everything up until The Spaghetti Incident. I like both of Duff‘s solo albums, all of Slash’s Snakepit & solo material, Velvet Revolver, I even have Hollywood Rose. I still need to pick up a Loaded album, but I do have the Neurotic Outsiders. This doesn’t dig into bootlegs of live and demo stuff… of which I have a plethora.
Appetite for Destruction generally tops my “all time favorites” album lists. I go back to it time and time again, & get lost in between Slash & Izzy’s guitars spiraling around each other.
Of course, when the autobiographies started coming out, I had to read them. I got Slash‘s book, then Duff’s then Steven’s. Slash was a rock n’ roll hero to me when I was in Jr. High & high school, but out of the three books… I think Duff comes off the best and most entertaining. The writing is very fluid. I found it easy to imagine Duff in the early days. The stories are blunt & sincere, and he ties it all back to where it has led him & where he is now in life. Duff seems like a great guy to hang out with.
Slash’s book is an easy read, but it jumps around quite a bit. His recollection of events is really questionable. It doesn’t necessarily feel like Slash is remembering things correctly, or even the one telling the story. I might have to give it a re-read after finishing the other two books.
Steven’s book, like Steven, is a mess. I can’t help but feel pity for the guy, mostly because he professes to not have a “poor me” attitude, but every single action the guy takes screams “oh poor me”. This guy just can’t get it right, but he still seems like a likeable guy.
It comes across in all of them that they had fun times in the early days, with a vibe that can never be repeated. Sadly, all these guys seem to have a habit of burning bridges… yet posses a decent history of patching things up. I mean, Slash & Duff have never really stopped working together. Duff has been on-stage with Axl’s band recently. They both patched it up with Weiland recently. Duff, Slash, & Izzy have jammed with Adler’s Appetite.
One thing is clear from all of these books… Axl is an absolute wild man, and these guys love & fear him. I really hope Axl & Izzy churn out books someday. Maybe somehow all of the events can get plotted out & reconstructed correctly.
Maybe they’ll even get together for the Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame ceremony.
- Guns N’ Roses Reunion: Slash Is Ready to Put Old Animosity to Rest (noisecreep.com)
- SLASH – “When I See Footage Of GUNS N’ ROSES, I See That Fucking Hunger And Attitude” (bravewords.com)
- Duff Mckagan Really Is Going to Open for Guns N’ Roses (metalsucks.net)
- Guns N’ Roses – Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- MATT SORUM On The Last Days Of GUNS N’ ROSES (Video) (roadrunnerrecords.com)
- DUFF MCKAGAN Joins GUNS N’ ROSES On Stage In Seattle; Video Available (bravewords.com)
- Matt Sorum of Guns N’ Roses & Velvet Revolver Opens Up (4drummersonly.wordpress.com)
- Slash Wants To Make Peace With Axl Rose (wncx.radio.com)
- DUFF McKAGAN On Getting Clean And Sober – “The First Time I Went Into A Supermarket, It Was Like Being On Acid; I Was Sweating On The Verge Of A Panic Attack” (bravewords.com)
- Axl Rose uncertain if Guns N’ Roses will play at Rock Hall (goerie.com)