So, bands… where & how do you advertise shows these days? There is of course your own website (if you even bother to have one), social media, and good old-fashioned word-of-mouth. Do you still print physical show fliers? Where do put them? Do you pass out handbills? How many friends, family members, classmates, co-workers, and casual acquaintances do you annoy with news of your shows & how often?
What social media do you use? Facebook? Reverb Nation? Twitter? MySpace? Google+? Google Calendar? Anything else? I know there’s a bunch out there like the ancient Pure Volume (is anyone still over there?).
Which ones do you use & which ones do you find effective? I know bands helped animated gifs with glittering text kill MySpace. At what point of posting about your band / shows / music / merchandise does it become over-saturation?
Do you hit the local papers or their websites with classified ads or event listings? Do you post on local radio websites?
Do you post on the venue’s (and/or promoter’s) website/Facebook/Twitter/etc.?
Do you have an email list?
If you hang flyers, where do you hang them? If you pass them out, where do you pass them out?
Here are some local sites where I’ve listed (or tried to list) our stuff… Not sure if it’s drawing anyone out.
- Pittsburgh City Paper | Music Listings
- Only In Pittsburgh
- Tribune Review | http://calendar.triblive.com/listings
- WRCT Radio (CMU) | Events / firstname.lastname@example.org
- WPTS Radio (Pitt) | Events / email@example.com
- WYEP Radio | Media Room
- Patch | Dormont-Brookline Patch
- Bloomfield Now | Events Calendar / firstname.lastname@example.org
Where do you post?
Help me make a checklist of sorts to make sure we’re getting the word out to as many people as possible as efficiently as possible.
- FRIDAY THE 13th AT HOWLER’S! (ernieandtheberts.wordpress.com)
- MySpace Gets Sold, Google+ Launches, Social TV Grows (sixestate.com)
- Speaker/Amp for band practice? (gearslutz.com)
- Exclusive: MySpace flies high in UK music site visits (techradar.com)
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words (or is it?) (julieannesmith.wordpress.com)
- Valley of Steel | Out Today: Fist Fight in the Parking Lot – Self-Titled (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Restless In Pittsburgh (pittsburghflashfictiongazette.com)
- Pittsburgh – “the Galapagos Islands of American dialect” (blogs.vancouversun.com)
- Why my band left MySpace & Facebook – for good (creativeramblings.com)