Inspired by a post called Gig Preparation, I thought I’d make some checklists. I think we’ll need one (and a half) for our stuff, one for setting up the gig, and one for doing stuff at the gig. The lists would change depending on who’s working the gig or who set it up, but you should be able to help with the flow of things even if you’re not the organizer. This is also from the point of view of a guitar player, because that’s all I’ve ever been. I’m guessing it would be the same for a bass player & quite similar for a drummer.
Before the gig:
☐ Get all the details in order:
☐ The place
☐ The time
☐ The price
☐ All ages or 21+
☐ Is it a benefit?
☐ Any specials if it’s a bar?
☐ Selling tickets?
☐ Flyers – Hang ’em up, pass ’em out.
☐ Word of mouth
☐ Communicate with the other bands…
☐ Playing order?
☐ Do you need your own door person?
Stuff to take:
☐ Backup guitar(s) – Don’t kill the show when you break a string.
☐ Amp head & cab (or combo)
☐ The merch box(es)
☐ Your gig backpack or briefcase. (“What’s that.” you ask? Keep reading!)
|·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| | | · | | · | | · | | · | | |
☐ Wireless system (Certainly not a necessity, but fun.)
☐ 9V battery (Are the lithium ones OK for pedals?)
☐ Guitar cables (1 more than you need)
☐ Speaker cables (1 more than you need)
☐ Strings (At least a full set, …any leftovers you’ve got should be in there.)
☐ Extra power cord
☐ Power Strip (w/ Circuit Breaker)
☐ 3-Prong to 2-Prong adapter (or 2)
☐ Duct Tape or Gaff Tape (or both… Gaff doesn’t leave a mess.)
☐ Tablet (Setlists, Merch Prices, Boredom)
☐ A sharpie or 2 (Setlists, Rock Star Autographs)
☐ A Leatherman-type tool. (Crazy or not-so crazy.)
☐ Guitar picks (I use Jim Dunlop Fins.)
☐ Extension Cord
Stuff that I don’t have, but might be a good idea…
☐ Mic clip(s)
☐ String Winder
☐ Pick strip or holder
☐ Ear plugs
☐ acetaminophen / ibuprofen / aspirin
☐ Cloth or towel
At the gig:
☐ Backline the “main” act if there is one & set up in front of them.
☐ Let the Sound Technician do their job.
☐ Set up a Merch Table/Corner/Counter/Box.
☐ Put your door person at the door.
I’m sure there’s stuff I’m forgetting, but I think this is a pretty decent start. What do you think I’m missing from the list? Do you have an emergency gig kit? What’s in it?
- gigging amp advice (gearslutz.com)
- Band Mates F’ing BAND MATES!!! (gearslutz.com)
- Band Names: The List (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Attn Bands :: Where and how do you promote shows? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Gifts That Rock – Strike a chord with your aspiring guitar god (theinsider.retailmenot.com)
- Guitars and the Science of Making Music (alexgulkingazette.com)
- Guitar swing gets out of hand news: Special manoeuvre goes embarrassingly wrong (thesun.co.uk)
- Guitar Ultimate AMP-150 guitar amplifier stand (gearslutz.com)
- ION Guitar Apprentice Transforms Your iPad Into An Axe-Shredding Beast (cultofmac.com)
- Guitar Tuner? (gearslutz.com)
- How To Tune A Guitar In Standard Tuning (answers.com)
- Tuning Up (rosecityremona.wordpress.com)
- Screwing Screwed Screws (guitarwtf.com)
- Inspiration from Hoke-E-Geez (My new ‘New York Pro’ Strat copy) (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The Mysterious Overseas Guitar Factories… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Tascam’s Solar-Rechargeable Tuner Should Be Standard Issue in Every Gig Bag (treehugger.com)
- Guitar Korg PitchBlack Tuner (gearslutz.com)
- How To Change a Guitar String (answers.com)
- Where can I get custom sets of guitar strings manufactured? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Upcycling: Guitar String Flowers (fishandbicycles.com)
- 3D printed spider guitar will make an arachnophile out of you (geek.com)
- You Can Now Play Guitar With Your Pee (wzlx.radio.com)
- GIGmate PRO Guitar Tool Kit – Guitar gifts (amazon.com)