I used to think I wasn’t picky when it came to my guitar sound or tone. I thought I wanted a Les Paul through any old amp as long as it was cranked as loud as possible. I liked a switch to turn the dirt off or on. Maybe I thought it was cool or “punk rock” to not care about my sound.
Lately, I care about my tone. It doesn’t have to sound exactly the same all the time… but I have learned to roll the dials in the directions that make me happy.
I actually just sold a Jim Dunlop Cry-Baby on ebay because I didn’t like how it messed with the signal even when it was off. I may pick up some kind of wah that has a true bypass… but even at that I doubt I’ll use it much.
Any more, I don’t even use a foot-switch for going clean. I play dirty all the time. If I need to clean it up, I roll back one of those volume knobs, or use a switch on the guitar. I generally always play bridge pickup & that’s it.
I like tube amps. I have a Crate Power Block that sounds pretty good live, but like razorblades were taken to the speaker cones when recorded or miked in any way. I wince when I hear bands playing through solid state amps… especially when there are 2 guitars through the same kind of amp.
The biggest thing I’ve learned is to just listen. If I like the sound, others will too. What I think I want might not be exactly what I want. I’ve learned to trust my ears.
What’s your balance? What’s your sound?
- Guitar Amps Egnater Tweaker 40 112 Combo (gearslutz.com)
- Best Tube Amp Head for Cheap (gearslutz.com)
- These 3D printed guitars not only look good, but are completely playable as well (ubergizmo.com)
- Guitar/Amp/Modeling Advice Required (gearslutz.com)
- guitar zero (xesandos.wordpress.com)
- Gibson Unleashes Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Vertigo Guitar (loudwire.com)
- Guitar Amps Fender Pro Junior III (gearslutz.com)
- Stunning 3D-Printed Guitars Will Blow You Away [PICS] (mashable.com)
- Guitar Searchers – Leave some comments! ==::: (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Help me win a Rock Solid guitar stand? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Gig Checklists (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Inspiration from Hoke-E-Geez (My new ‘New York Pro’ Strat copy) (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The Mysterious Overseas Guitar Factories… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- My Guitars… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- We need a detective with Batman-like skills. (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The Square Guitar | My Galveston B.B. Stone (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The Dewey Deceibel FlipOut Guitar (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The path is clear (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)