There have been some strands across the face of the mirror for a while now, and more recently it has built a web inside the curve of the mirror’s housing where it attaches to the car.
One one hand, I want to knock the web down & hopefully the spider will move along. On the other, it has survived multiple drives, multiple rains, and just in general for about a week now… who am I to destroy it?
I’m guessing it lives back there behind the mirror. I’d probably pick a similar spot if I was a spider. The web is odd, it’s not the “classic” spider-web made famous by Halloween Decorations & Spider-Man’s costume. It’s not the scary funnel web. It’s some diagonal stands across the mirror and a weird shaped 3D thing inside that curve. Apparently this isn’t that kind of spider, or it just didn’t pay attention in web-spinning class.
I haven’t ever seen any bugs in the web. I hate bugs. (Most of us do, right?) I’m letting the spider stay out of hope that he’ll destroy our common enemy: All other bugs. I really don’t like spiders. They creep me out. Especially little ones. I held our science class’ pet tarantula in 4th grade… but she wasn’t as creepy as little spiders. Those little brown recluse ones are nasty, I hope it’s not one of those. Also… those little white spiders really creep me out. (What are those things?) I doubt it’s a black widow or a wolf spider. I saw a wolf spider at camp one time that was as big as the palm of my hand… no exaggeration. I woke up, and it was on the ceiling of the cabin above me. I just let it go… as the cabin was in the woods and it belonged there more than me.
I generally smash spiders as soon as I see them. It’s usually a good idea. One time, it wasn’t. I was pretty young, and I stepped on this spider and a million (yes I counted) miniscule baby spiders ran out from it. I freaked out, stomping around with both feet like I was putting out a fire or doing some kind of tribal dance. I couldn’t have gotten them all. I lived in fear of retaliation for many many years. Maybe that’s why I still don’t like spiders.
I’ve even thought about getting one of those things that you plug into the wall that are supposed to emit some kind of ultrasonic noise that spiders, bugs, and even rats don’t like. Can that even work? It just seems like a way to take my money for something that could in no way work as advertised.
Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is from the web? (If you can even see it.) Should I crush the mighty arachnid now while I still can? Will it make a million more little spiders that will overrun my car?
1: Places where spiders belong:
- The Woods
- The Desert
- In the garden
2: Places where spiders don’t belong:
- The Sink
- The Bathtub
- My Basement
- The Bedroom
- The Living Room
Where does my mirror fit in? I’m guessing category 2, but I didn’t want to be too hasty. Live and let live, unless you’re a mother spider carrying a bazillion spider babies, or one of said spider babies…
Apparently this happens to people everywhere.
- Oh You Know, Just A Giant Spider Eating A Snake (geekologie.com)
- You: Spiders on the move in flood-ravaged Australia (nation.com.pk)
- ‘Storm’ of spider silk drapes Australian city (msnbc.msn.com)
- NATURE KNOWLEDGE:Crab Spider (sillyfrogsusan.wordpress.com)
- Flying Spider Or Spider Fly, I Don’t Care: I Really Hate This Bug (gizmodo.com.au)
- Spiders (rlbk75.wordpress.com)
- Brown Recluse Spider Bite: Nikki Perez Almost Blinded. Could It Happen Where You Live? (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- Reclusive Spiders (sevenanahalflife.wordpress.com)
- Hanging Out With Spiders (showmeoz.wordpress.com)
- Brown Recluse Spider Bite Nearly Blinds TCU Student (jasondrexler.wordpress.com)
- Spiders – Guardians of the Human Race?!? (dawnpisturino.wordpress.com)
- Halloween Gives Creepy Crawlies a Bad Name (prweb.com)
- Rotting-Ear Case the Work of Deadly Brown Recluse Spider (abcnews.go.com)
- brush with death? (emvlovely.wordpress.com)
- To Truly Overcome Your Opponent, You Must Devour Him (failbook.failblog.org)
- How to Easily Avoid “Attack of the Killer Spiders” by Reducing Clutter (organizingla.com)
- Spiders and Why I Hate Them So (kenberry475.wordpress.com)
- The Many Looks of Spider-Man (comics.ign.com)