So, this past weekend, I finally got a chance to work on customizing my New York Pro, I thought I’d get a bunch of it done all at one time. Well, I hit a roadblock or two as I was taking it all apart. (Of course.)
I already got some great advice via Facebook, but thought I’d try & chronicle everything here.
Once I got my work bench set up on the basement, taking everything apart was quite easy. I just took out all the hardware, and when I went to line up the new pickguard, it didn’t fit. It’s really close, but it doesn’t fit. I’m going to have to file or cut or sand or Dremel or some combination of all of the above.
The holes in the pickguard aren’t going to lineup with the screws, either. I’m going to have to maybe 2-sided tape it in place to mark all the holes once I get it cut right. I have no experience taking apart guitars, but it’s odd that the neck doesn’t fit “perfectly” into the body. There’s a weird gap there. It’s also easy to tell (now) that the old pickguard has been cut. There are some other spots where it doesn’t quite line up. I hope I don’t have to route anything out where the pickups go. I got them all from the same place, so I hope not.
Also, I thought I was taking the neck plate off… but it wasn’t having it:
It’s stuck. I feel like it’s glued on or was put on before the stain dried? I bought all black hardware, including a neck plate. Should I try to get this one off, or just let it go? I even tried to pop it off using a screwdriver through the 5th larger hole… all to no avail.
Any advice on that one?
If you’re interested in checking out my progress, take a look at the Photobucket album that’s my attempt to chronicle the whole thing. (Or, sit through this slideshow…)
- The Mysterious Overseas Guitar Factories… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Have any soldering or guitar wiring advice? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- I’m going to need to learn how to solder. (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Goofy Search Terms (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- 1950s Hopf Special (guitarz.blogspot.com)
- Rare 1967 Fender “Smuggler’s” Telecaster offered for sale on eBay (guitarz.blogspot.com)
- Vintage & Rare guitar of the week: Wandre Brigitte Bardot model in rare multicolour finish (guitarz.blogspot.com)
- Help me win a Rock Solid guitar stand? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Voss jazz guitar (guitarz.blogspot.com)
- 1981 Westone doublecut electric guitar (guitarz.blogspot.com)
- El Daga one-of-a-kind “art guitar” looks surprisingly familiar… (guitarz.blogspot.com)
- new planck guitar! (guitarren.blogspot.com)
- Why solder to the back of a guitar’s pot? (gearslutz.com)
- Balance ⊖⊘⊖ (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Inspiration from Hoke-E-Geez (My new ‘New York Pro’ Strat copy) (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- My Guitars… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- We need a detective with Batman-like skills. (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The Square Guitar | My Galveston B.B. Stone (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- The Dewey Deceibel FlipOut Guitar (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Guitar Searchers – Leave some comments! ==::: (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)