Dear Mr. Rose,
Thanks for pissing on the remaining shreds of hope that I had that there could ever be an Appetite-era lineup reunion of the infamous Guns N’ Roses. I wasn’t hoping for a world tour or anything. Just a 1-time set at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame would have been gracious and exciting.
I watched as the band burned bright, then fell apart. Illusions I & II are the sound of a band imploding, and Spaghetti Incident is the sound of a band phoning it in. Chinese Democracy is the unsettling ranting of a lunatic.
I have read the biographies, and I have made a public plea for a reunion. Appetite for Destruction floored me when I was a teenager. The guitars were blaring and dancing around each other perfectly. The drums made my heat beat faster. The bass managed to weave it all together. The vocals made me want to scream and yell. Lies was absolutely brilliant. The raw aggression of the earlier “live” tracks were the Guns, & the stripped down yet edgy acoustic tracks were the Roses.
You could have been a grown-ass-man, and set aside your ego, your demons, and whatever else is plaguing you. You could have probably even gotten away with not showing up for rehearsal, sound check or even acknowledging the existence of the other guys off stage. Everyone knows you’re supposedly some sort of “temperamental genius” by now, and would have let it slide. I mean, you really never got much more than a monetary slap on the wrist for inciting multiple riots. If you can get away with that, you can pretty much get away with anything.
It seems that you fear reuniting with the old lineup would invalidate the existence of the current lineup of Guns N’ Roses. The only thing that invalidates the current lineup is one W. Axl Rose. You have made it unequivocally clear that the founding members of the band who wrote the songs that you’re surely playing on tour & developed the sound that you try so hard to get away from are nothing but hired guns (pun intended) to your apparently infallible and virtually unreachable artistic vision. Why should we put any stock in the revolving door of members that has been present since the departure of core members Duff & Slash? Perhaps Izzy was the most intelligent of the bunch, getting out shortly after Adler was ousted. Gilby Clarke sure was never given status as a full band member. Even Buckethead was called out for his apparent inabilities to record or tour when he left the band. It’s always someone else’s fault, isn’t it? Does Dizzy Reed know any other words than “Yes, Axl”? (Surely even you have to notice how terrible the piano sounds on live versions of “Patience” and “Paradise City“.)
By all accounts it’s Axl who was always late to the stage, Axl who left everyone hanging in Chicago, Axl & some guy that wasn’t even in the band that included a hidden Charles Manson cover on an album despite the rest of the band’s wishes, Axl who called in Paul Tobias without asking anyone else, Axl who demanded legal ownership of the band name at a time when it was impossible for the others to refuse (all aiming to keep the fans happy), Axl who put out no albums while former bands mates cranked out multiple albums from multiple projects, and Axl who consistently points out the shortcomings of his peers and former friends through some self-created veil of paranoia while never taking the time to analyze or even admit to his own self-destructive actions.
Thank you for destroying my favorite band.
I guess I do have to thank you for making sure that the last memory of my favorite lineup won’t be some half-hearted attempt at recapturing some inspirational spark or any multitude of possibly disappointing outcomes.
- Are Lana Del Rey & Axl Rose Together? (since1910.com)
- Axl Rose tells Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to shove it, Twitter reacts (twitchy.com)
- Axl Rose declines Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction (muzicmagazine.com)
- Axl Rose: ‘I Strongly Request That I Not Be Inducted’ into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (blippitt.com)
- Axl Rose Declines Induction Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (people.com)
- Popdose Roundtable: Broken Axl (popdose.com)
- Axl Rose Will Not Attend Guns N’ Roses’ Rock and Roll Hall Induction Ceremony (rollingstone.com)
- Guns N’ Roses have ‘no real plans’ for Rock Hall induction, so here are seven possible scenarios (music-mix.ew.com)
- Axl Rose On Future GUNS N’ ROSES Reunion – “Not In This Lifetime” (bravewords.com)
- Slash Talks Velvet Revolver (wcbsfm.radio.com)
- Slash Talks Velvet Revolver (jack.radio.com)
- Ink N’ Pages – The Guns N’ Roses Autobiograhpies (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Slash: ‘Axl Rose Hates My Guts’ (rollingstone.com)
- Green Day To Present Guns ‘N Roses At Rock Hall Induction (jack.radio.com)
- Former GUNS N’ ROSES Drummer Matt Sorum Talks Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction – “Hopefully Someone Will Get Up And Want To Play, But I Don’t Know” (bravewords.com)
- Former GUNS N’ ROSES Drummers Steven Adler, Matt Sorum Will Attend Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction Together – “It’s Part Of Our Lives, It’s Part Of What We’ve Done And What We Accomplished” (bravewords.com)
- SLASH Says GUNS N’ ROSES Will “Not Be Playing” At Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Ceremony (bravewords.com)
- MATT SORUM: I Found Out About GUNS N’ ROSES’ ROCK HALL Induction Through STEVEN ADLER (roadrunnerrecords.com)
- DUFF MCKAGAN Says “There’s Been No Communication About Anyone Playing” At GUNS N’ ROSES Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction (bravewords.com)
- Guns N’ Roses Announce Six U.S. Tour Dates (mtv.com)
- Hicks: Scott Weiland, Velvet Revolver reunite for benefit show (mercurynews.com)
- COREY TAYLOR: What I Would Have Brought To VELVET REVOLVER (roadrunnerrecords.com)
- Titans of Rock Tour Announced: Current/Former Members of Metallica, KISS, and Others to Perform Together (noisecreep.com)
- BraveWords.com Talks To DJ ASHBA – “The Number One Priority For Everybody” Is To Make A New GUNS N’ ROSES Album (bravewords.com)
- SLASH – Welcome To His Jungle (bravewords.com)
- Charlie Sheen Asks for Slash After Leaving Guns N’ Roses Concert in Good Humour (celebs.gather.com)
- The Actual Best Rock Guitar-Dominated Intros of All Time According to the Ultimate Authority, Me. (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Guns N’ Roses – Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)