So, I’ve written about tipping at length before. I won’t get into all of it again, but I have heard the subject come up lately, and I just want to know where I fall. This is all about discussion. I want feedback. How do you tip? Some questions I’d like answered…
- Do you tip 20% when out to eat, or are you still at the 80s 15% standard? (Please don’t say it’s 10%.)
- Do you round to the nearest dollar or leave exact change?
- If you only get a slice of pie and a cup of coffee (or less), do you throw percentage out the window and go for a minimum amount?
- Is it cool to leave the tip on a receipt if paying with a credit card, or does the waiter/waitress think you stiffed them?
- Do you tip if there’s an automatic 18% gratuity for a large party?
- Do you tip better (or worse) based on service, or should it be automatic?
- How much do you tip a pizza guy/girl?
- Does the pizza tip change if you have more than pizza or a ridiculously large order?
- Do you adjust tipping a delivery person in inclement weather, on or near a holiday, or on a day like thanksgiving or New Year’s Day when everyone else is ordering out?
- Is your delivery tipping based on a percentage of the total, or on a flat per-trip fee?
- Is it cool to leave the tip on a receipt if paying with a credit card, or does the delivery driver think you stiffed them?
- Do you tip on take-out when you pick it up?
- Do you tip at Starbucks or a mom n’ pop coffee place? Is there a difference?
- If so, is it change, or paper?
- Do you tip per beer/drink at the bar, or per round?
- How much do you tip for a $15 or $18 men’s haircut? How much more for a beard trim or a shave?
- Who else do you tip that may not be so obvious? The garbage man? The mailman?
I try to tip well as with my food allergy I have a small circle of places where we dine out or get delivery with a high level of comfort. I want to make sure I’m in the right place.
As a reminder, you can comment here without a WordPress account if you’re already logged into Facebook or Twitter, just go to town!
💵 💸 💳 💰