I’ve been quiet with blogging lately. I’m not all that busy, and I’m certainly not out of things to ramble on about. I guess I’ve just been doing other stuff. I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday & any time with friends, family, or time off of work. Today. I was inspired to make a post about buttermilk, and thought I’d get it down before I forgot about it.
I like buttermilk. Occasionally, when at the grocery store… something hits me that says I want buttermilk. Much to my wife’s dismay, I listen. Buttermilk is an acquired taste to say the least. Most people any more seem to see it as a cooking ingredient. It makes great pancakes, ranch dressing, and mashed potatoes. It’s a good dredge for breading. It’s good in many recipes. But, it’s also a delicious drink.
Generally I prefer Charlie’s Old Time Buttermilk (by Turner’s) or Country Charm Cultured Buttermilk (by Dean’s). Uncle Charlie’s has the tiny added butter flecks. If you like things like sour cream, cottage cheese, or stinky cheeses… you may also like buttermilk. (Maybe if you like yogurt too… but I personally hate yogurt.) You may like it only after your first couple of tries, like beer or coffee.
I don’t remember not liking buttermilk, but there aren’t many of “us” out there. My parents always drank it, my grandparents drank it. I was used to it forever I guess. It’s delicious, and now something I crave like a special treat. I’ve had people make horrible faces after trying it. I’ve had people swear at me, and even hit me after letting them try it. This is how you man up (no offense to ladies, the dairy-allergic, or the lactose intolerant) & drink buttermilk the right way:
- Get a nice tall glass. (I like a nice beer mug or even a really tall weizen or pilsner glass.)
- Pour in just enough buttermilk to cover the bottom.
- Add salt & pepper to cover a good portion of the top of the buttermilk. (Paprika like on old-school diner cottage cheese if you’re fancy.)
- Pour buttermilk to the top of glass. Top off with more salt & pepper if desired.
- Make the first gulp obnoxiously large.
- Make a refreshing “ahhh” sigh.
- Enjoy the rest at a relaxed pace.
…or just drink straight from the tiny jug or carton if you’re a barbarian.
- Buttermilk anyone? (aintbut1thing.com)
- How to Make Buttermilk (thehappyhousewife.com)
- Beyond KFC: Southern Fried Chicken Done Right (menuism.com)
- Got Leftover Buttermilk? Recipe Ideas and Inspiration (thekitchn.com)
- What did shepherds in the middle ages eat (wiki.answers.com)
- Cooking Class: How to make buttermilk (chefandsteward.com)
- Give Frozen Desserts a Kick With Buttermilk! (thekitchn.com)
- Buttermilk Potato Pave Recipe (averagebetty.com)
- Buttermilk (substitute) (incucinadame.wordpress.com)
- Buttermilk (or Yogurt) Biscuits (thebigchilicookoffevergreen.wordpress.com)
- USS Missouri Buttermilk Pie (mixitup.me)
- Potato Volcano Video (averagebetty.com)
- Our Best Tips On What to Do With Interesting Ingredients Good Questions: Best of 2011 (thekitchn.com)
- Buttermilk Pie (mixitup.me)