I’m not even sure where to begin. I mean, I’ve been amazed for years about the lack of caution during hazardous road conditions from my fellow southwestern PA motorists… but this is beyond amazement. If I were in charge of public service announcements, my #1 topic/message would be that “AWD/4WD may help you go, but it doesn’t help you stop“… and to leave space between you & the vehicle in front of (or beside) you. Too many people just drive like nothing’s going on out of the norm as far as road conditions during inclement weather. Then again, you have the other end of the extreme… people driving like they’re afraid, and being so ‘cautious’ that they’re a danger to others. But that’s all general. I’d love to just point out the insanity in this video.
- The White SUV – Okay. I live not too far from here. It’s obviously quite a hilly area like most of southwestern Pennsylvania. I would avoid hills like this if at all possible when I knew there were icy or even snowy road conditions… To a certain extent in these neighborhoods all routes out involve some sort of hill, but there are less “extreme” grades around. I wonder what sparked the camera man to start taping at this point? What auto-acrobatics led up to a “wow, I should get this on video” moment? Think all 3 cars there were damaged, or just the 1st 2?
- The Speedy Sedan – Seriously? Did you just miss the twirling SUV… and the minivan that apparently decided to join the chaos only to make a futile attempt to clear a path for your louge-run? It almost looked like someone stepped on the gas trying to go down that hill, Speed Racer. I’d love to see the look on your insurance agent’s face when they see this pinball-machine like run, assuming you have insurance. I hope you had a change of underwear in the car with you. I feel bad for the poor guy who probably thought his car was safely parked in the front yard away from road hazards flanked by other vehicles… unless he ended up there just like this guy. What flew to the left there that started out behind the parked black SUV? A tree?
- The Concerned Citizen – Yeah, I get that you’re trying to help, but that may not be the best place to walk… in case, you know… someone else were dumb enough to slide down that hill. He’ll re-appear later with a construction cone.
- Sedan #2 – Adds injury to insult while you’re distracted by Brian Boitano trying to cross the road.
- SUV #2 – Won’t be outdone… it’s a almost a sedanwich, but it turns into a nice little road block. Maybe this will serve as a warning to other would-be travelers to turn around and go home?
- Sedan #3 – This driver likes a challenge, and decides to plow through the blockade just like in all those movies on Spike. Another bright idea is to get small children out of the car and on to the icy road.
I’d love to read your thoughts.
(Video & News story also available here.)