So last Friday or Saturday, my back started itching. It wasn’t a bug-bite itch. It didn’t seem like a dry skin itch. The closest thing I could equate it to is that feeling when you get a haircut and those stray clippered hairs that they couldn’t blow away with the hair-dryer or brush away with that tickling brush jab at you until you can get home & get a proper shower. I just assumed it was dry skin, & asked my lovely wife to hook me up with some of the plethora of lotions in the house (ask me about her Bath & Bodyworks addiction some time). She graciously applied some non-smelly Aveeno & confirmed that there wasn’t a rash or anything.
At least, that’s what we thought.
Through the week it didn’t seem to subside. I used some Benadryl one night to go to sleep, and we switched to Eucerin and then to some weird stinky pink (and ridiculously expensive) Aveeno Oatmeal lotion. I Googled “itch without rash” to some benign and some alarming results. It’s never good to search for afflictions online because common symptoms of everything lead to you dying of some unheard of horrible disease.
The itch had spread to my chest eventually, by again we couldn’t see any kind of rash or hives. My skin was obviously hydrated to the touch thanks to the lotion(s), so dry skin couldn’t be the answer. I was starting to think it might even be nerves. It wasn’t constant, it’s just intermittent & weird.
We figured it couldn’t be too horrible as the wife didn’t “catch” anything, so it probably wasn’t some gross fungus or bugs or anything you’d see in a sci-fi movie.
I finally broke down & went to Med Express on Saturday. (I hate missing work for doctor’s appointments, and Med Express was so easy to get in & out.) The nurse-practitioner there did see a rash under her light… called it “micro-” something “dermatitis”, & the printout they gave me says “contact dermatitis“. She gave me a steroid to take for 5 days, & said to keep using the Eucerin. As weird as it sounds I was relieved that it was an actual rash & not all in my head or anything. She also recommended Claritin instead of Benadryl as it apparently has less knock-you-out type side effects.
I’m still a little itchy occasionally, but I can hopefully see an end in sight. Hope the Prednisone works!
She said I might be allergic to something, and may have to start some detective work. If it was laundry detergent or fabric softener, it would most likely be on my thighs too… and it’s not yet. Plus, we’re on the end of the detergent bottle & fabric softener sheet box… I would have thought it would have affected me by now. I did try some new generic soap, but it stunk (literally & latherally) … so I stopped using it. I don’t think that was it. I don’t have any new shirts that I wore that I can remember. It’s quite maddening. I wonder if it was something I ate or a medicine… but I’ve been on my stomach stuff for a while now, & there’s nothing new.
Has this happened to any of my other food allergy friends or their family? I have little to no experience with allergic rashes… other than a minor itch caused by wool… but I generally stay away from wool clothing or blankets… and my (minor) allergies to wool, cats, & dogs for some reason tend to give me sniffles not a rash. And with shellfish, I guess there’s a rash, but the whole throat-closing thing kind of eclipses that.
Any advice on how to find the culprit? (Especially if it should return, provided it actually does clear-up.) Any advice on home remedies or alternate things too sooth an itch that might work better than the Eucerin & Claritin?
Many thanks in advance!
- Eczema A Real Nightmare (thenaturalhome.net)
- Extremely Bad Skin Problems – Multiple Possibilities (organic-pet-digest.com)
- Rash on belly & down legs & under front leg armpits (organic-pet-digest.com)
- Dog Skin Allergies and the Best Ways to Fight Them (organic-pet-digest.com)
- Kelli H. ☃: I have ridiculously sensitive skin. I can’t wear earrings and any necklaces made from metal. I can only use a very limited amount of hair and body care products. I almost always have a rash or hives somewhere on my body. #SaturdayFF or, m (friendfeed.com)
- 3 Body Moisturizers That Kick Dry Skin to the Curb (bellasugar.com)
- Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Calming Creme (lipglosslife.com)
- The Dirty Dozen: The 12 Most Common Skin Irritants (webmd.com)
- This Infernal External Itching!!! (jenlynn401.wordpress.com)
- Scratching Feels Better on Certain Parts of Your Body (livescience.com)
- Why Am I so damn itchy!? (hannahogden.wordpress.com)
- the itch that never ends (bripblap.com)
- A little background on my shellfish allergy before I write my next rant of a blog… (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Morgellons: Terrifying New Disease Reaching Pandemic Status (blogginghounds.wordpress.com)
- Scabies: Evil, Unnoticed Sexual Partners (Part I) (skindiseasesandcosmetics.com)
- How to Treat Dog Mange (organic-pet-digest.com)
- “What to do about Rashes?” (childrenshealthnaturally.wordpress.com)
- Scientists: Little evidence bug bite treatments actually work (cbsnews.com)
- Over-the-Counter Bug Bite Remedies Don’t Work: Report (news.health.com)
- Scant Evidence That Insect Bite Remedies Work (jflahiff.wordpress.com)
- Is It snowing again?! No I just have Flaky Skin. (thatgirlnamednaima.wordpress.com)
- Homeopathy in Psoriasis (homeopathicure.wordpress.com)
- Moderate your lifestyle easy (emmanuelshar1128.wordpress.com)
- Skin Care and Aging (lifelegacyorg.wordpress.com)
- Aquanil hc-hydrocortisone-lotion-4-oz (slideshare.net)