So, did you read my last post about making a playlist of Metallica songs so Bethany will be familiar with some of the music at the show? l grabbed a few tracks from each album, popped them into a list, & mixed ’em up a bit. It still seems a tad unwieldy. It’s 47 songs, and I don’t even want to know what the run time would be. (I still need to dig out all of my CD’s & rip some of these older songs. I live in the stone age and listen to mp3’s saved to a thumb drive plugged into the car.)
How would you pare it down? Could you get it to 30 songs? 10 songs? 60 minutes? What is the most essential stuff you’d need to grasp their overall sound and/or appreciate a live show?
I had Alexa playing some random Metallica this morning, and it wasn’t a bad mix. This actually really has me appreciating Death Magnetic & Hardwired… To Self-Destruct more & more.
Metallica 101 Playlist…
- “Ecstasy of Gold” (We All Love Ennio Morricone) [Ennio Morricone]
- “Enter Sandman” (Metallica)
- “One” (…And Justice for All)
- “For Whom the Bell Tolls” (Ride the Lightning)
- “Whiskey in the Jar” (Garage, Inc.) [Thin Lizzy]
- “(Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth” (Kill ‘Em All)
- “Whiplash” (Kill ‘Em All)
- “Last Caress” (Live Shit: Binge & Purge) [Misfits]
- “Master of Puppets” (Master of Puppets)
- “Cyanide” (Death Magnetic)
- “The Call of Ktulu” (S&M)
- “Nothing Else Matters” (Metallica)
- “Seek And Destroy” (Live Shit: Binge & Purge)
- “Some Kind of Monster” (St. Anger)
- “Fade To Black” (Ride the Lightning)
- “Overkill” (Garage, Inc.) [Motörhead]
- “Hardwired” (Hardwired… To Self-Destruct)
- “The Memory Remains” (Through The Never)
- “Four Horsemen” (Kill ‘Em All)
- “Creeping Death” (Live Shit: Binge & Purge)
- “Until It Sleeps” (S&M)
- “Altas, Rise!” (Hardwired… To Self-Destruct)
- “Battery” (Master of Puppets)
- “Die, Die My Darling” (Garage, Inc.) [Misfits]
- “Frantic” (St. Anger)
- “Fuel” (Re-Load)
- “Orion” (Through the Never)
- “Unforgiven” (Metallica)
- “Unforgiven II” (Re-Load)
- “Unforgiven III” (Death Magnetic)
- “Sad But True” (Live Shit: Binge & Purge)
- “I Disappear” (Mission: Impossible 2 Soundtrack)
- “All Nightmare Long” (Death Magnetic)
- “Mama Said” (Load)
- “Welcome Home (Sanitarium)” (Master of Puppets)
- “Commando” (St. Anger Single) [Ramones]
- “Now That We’re Dead” (Hardwired… To Self-Destruct)
- “Stone Cold Crazy” (Garage, Inc.) [Queen]
- “Wherever I May Roam” (S&M)
- “The Day That Never Comes” (Death Magnetic)
- “Tuesday’s Gone” (Garage, Inc.) [Lynyrd Skynyrd]
- “Disposable Heroes” (Master of Puppets)
- “Blackened” (…And Justice for All)
- “St. Anger” (St. Anger)
- “Low Man’s Lyric” (Re-Load)
- “Harvester of Sorrow” (…And Justice for All)
- “One” (S&M)
Would you skip songs & go to videos, live sets or clips, or documentaries?
Did you see part 1? I quickly realized I like a vast odd selection of Christmas music. There are so many I dig that didn’t make the cut, and I’m sure ones I forgot. Throw me your favorites in the comments!
I have been trying to post a Christmas song per day since the beginning of December. I think I make a new YouTube playlist every year. (I must have set YouTube to tweet when I add videos to playlists way back… because it seems to be doing that with the stuff I’m adding.)
I enjoy some Christmas albums, but seem to have found a bunch of random songs that I like over the years. Some traditional, some quite the opposite. Here’s the first batch. There is no rhyme or reason or favorite order or anything.
Post some of your favorite Winter Holiday songs in the comments. Links to videos, album names, artists, etc. Show me what you dig!
1. No Doubt – “Oi To the World” (Vandals cover!)
2. MxPx – “Xmas Night of the Living Dead”
3. Willie Nelson – “Silent Night”
4. Run DMC – “Christmas in Hollis” (The A.K.A.’s do a neat cover too.)
5. Johnny Cash – “What Child Is This?”
6. RAMONES – “Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight)”
7. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – “This Time of Year”
8. Bing Crosby & David Bowie – “Little Drummer Boy”
9. D.I. – “Mr. Grinch”
10. Laurie Berkner – “Santa’s Coming to My House Tonight”
So, Google Photos made two of these video clip compilations all by itself, then it let me know in the photos app. One was for Molly, and one was for Ian.
HOW DOES IT KNOW?
Are these algorithms? Facial Recognition? Time, date, & location stamps? Did it use the videos from my phone, or the online backups?
This is so awesome, cute, and creepy.
These videos give me all the feels.
For those who noticed I didn’t blog very often for a while, all this was happening. It’s incredible to look back on it all.
I wish I could tweak some of the clips just a tiny bit to include some better little funny moments, but whatever made this did a pretty damn good job.
As amazing as this is, and how cool it is that it reminds me of the make-a-grown-man-cry Dear-Sophie Google Chrome commercial, it’s a bit weird. Are we in the future? How does it do what it does?
I may find a simple answer after a Google search. Does Google let you learn all about Google? Does anyone use Google+?
Your Friendly Binary Overlord
Seriously though, they do grow up so fast. Thank you for the reminder, Google Photos.
I think I made this a draft, & forgot to post it… I got some video of the kids having a blast on the Swingset, and played around with the YouTube video editor before it disappears.
My wife & I have very generous cousins with a cabin in the woods where they throw a bunch of fun parties throughout the year. One yearly weekend gathering can get exciting. Here’s some video of Molly swimming in the plake (big pond or a small lake?), and Ian getting a lesson on some heavy machinery!
Molly Swimming at the “Plake” 🏊:
Ian Driving a Skid Steer with “Uncle” Jim 👷:
Ian Driving an Excavator with “Uncle” Jim 🚧:
As always, we had a great time! Molly is getting confident with swimming lessons, and Ian looked so serious in those machines. I am so grateful to be able to share these kinds of experiences with these two.
My phone seemed to “skip” a bit. May be time to back up & remove photos? Also, I’m getting used to playing with the YouTube Video Editor, and it’s apparently going away? Boo, I say.
I have been monkeying around with YouTube video editor. I compiled a few things and played with their filters. This is what I got…
Ian’s dinosaur dream:
Molly & Ian tell a story together:
Molly’s dance class:
Well, that’s it (for now).